April 3, 2011

Baking for a Cause


Last week, Sigma hosted its annual Visions of Chocolate philanthropy event to raise  awareness for the fight against domestic violence. The event featured a dessert buffet with food donations from Taglios, Naked Cupcakes and other local bakeries. In addition, there was a galore of baking done in my tiny dorm apartment from 12am until the wee hours of the morning. Kudos to my the Philanthropy chairs for hosting such an amazing event and showing some impressive baking skills :) I  have to say, I have never baked so much in one sitting in my life but it made me really really wank to open a bakery, teehee.

Chocolate with marshmellows for the Smores bars (recipe here!) and coconut for the Chocolate Coconut Macarons (recipe here!). Unfortunately, I didn't get any good pictures of the two desserts since it we were too busy baking and I was getting really really tired by 3am.
Red Velvet Whoopie Pies made entirely by the Philanthropy Chairs! (recipe here)




Mini Cherry Cheesecakes. The last time I made cheesecake was probably 3 years ago but turns out cheesecake is surprisingly easy to make.  (recipe here). The original recipe called for nilla wafers but I found them to be really awkward because they didn't fit into the mini cupcake holders. But they were definitely easier than the graham cracker crust I made for the first batch. A random tangent; I really dislike cherry flavored desserts because I always find the taste to be super artificial but the canned cherries for this dish wound up working extremely well.

Quick snapshot of half of half of the desserts that were made. Chocolate chip cake peeking out from the bottom.

Congrats again Phil chairs on a successful Visions!

No comments:

Post a Comment