October 14, 2012

Jose Garces Trading Co. 5 down, 2 to go

Back in the day, my first few posts on this blog often compared the restaurants of Steven Starr and Jose Garces'. 2 years and a few restaurants later, I still stand by initial assessment that Garces' restaurants are easily superior. The food's consistently better and more innovative so before graduation, V and I are trying to hit up every single one of the Iron Chef's restaurants. What is sad is that I actually don't have any legit blog posts on most of his restaurants because I always use V's phone and then I never get the pictures :/ Maybe I'll have to make myself also do a blog post one each of his restaurants to make the experience complete.

Cheese Platter (Goat Manchego) with Truffle Honey
Salami with Mustard
House Bread & Olive Oil
I've been to Jose Garces Trading Co. 2 previous times (you can see the post here), but never for their restaurant week. Although not spectacular, the dining experience was still quite enjoyable. Plus no restaurant in the city can beat having a wine cellar that cells $10 bottles of wine in the actual restaurant. A few things that Garces Trading is very well known for: cheese, cured meat and the flatbreads. There's a deli by the front of the shop that sells all sorts of goodies including local cheeses, vinegar, olive oils and meats. Plus, you get the awesome truffle lavender honey (first made famous in his other restaurant Amada) when you order the cheese plate and I'm pretty sure this honey has its own cult following.

Scallop with Peanut Sauce

Yes the portion was tiny but the scallops were amaaaazing. They were cooked to the most perfect tender texture and the carmelization on the meat was beautiful. The sauce was a tad too heavy to my liking but it was an interesting pairing to a seafood dish which I had never seen before.

Sausage Flatbread
Gooey delicious perfect flatbread. The proportions of toppings to cheese to tomato sauce to crust is always very well done. Sure beats Tap House flatbread anyday.

Strawberry Macaron & Yellow Cake
Chocolate Mousse Cake 
The desserts were pretty underwhelming but I guess that's restaurant week for you. Its always feels like the desserts are tacked onto the menu as an after thought. In the restaurant's defense, I know that they do have delicious desserts (see post here) but I guess not this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment